Saturday, August 2, 2008

Temple Purifier & Praetorian Guardsman, Griffin


Now we hit the batch of mini's I've more recently done and have yet to grass their bases. The Temple Purifier was my first real go at hair, the one morbid puppet not really counting. Also my first human face as well. All in all I think both came out really well. I didn't get the eyes cross-eyed and the skin tone highlighted well. The hair also showed a really good depth of color. I might go for a browner coloring next time and possibly black after that. His jacket and accessories are rather flat in color, done somewhat on purpose to draw more attention to the face. Although his boots do have a bit of coloring and highlighting done to help them look a bit more scuffled. Mostly though my focus was this figures face.


Looking at his back we can see the hair a bit better. I think the brightness of the uniform apt, if this guy really had seen a fight he would be in need of some new clothing as his would be pretty rough afterwards.











Let me just say this was perhaps the hardest of the armored figures so far I have painted. The number of slight raised surfaces needing red over the metal was a head ache. Especially given that a number of those were broken up with indents that needed to be metal rather than red. The cloak to was difficult, not for any reason of the model, but rather that the closest color I could find that I ended up mixing was a horrible paint. Much to thin and requiring many many many coats to become an even non blotchy color.



Looking at his back we can see a few details. Although really the detail is in the armor itself and thus was a matter for washing not really separate painting to bring out. I didn't do any of the dirtying dry brushing add-ons to this figure. Being an imperial guard I thought them as being very ceremonial in appearance.

No comments: