Saturday, September 5, 2009

Star Wars: Saga Character

So here is a quickly repainted Star Wars miniature for the Saga game I play in. We started during the clone wars and I am playing a Clone Commando. See LINK for a shot of the mini I painted to start the campaign with. A couple sessions ago Order 66 came down in the game and my clone went traitor. So at the first stop our group made I sent the group noble out to pick me up a pancho and some red paint to work up a disguise. Hence I paint job on this mini. I'll be using him for the first time tonight, should work pretty well. It was a pretty fast repaint, not a lot of details to pick out on the Star Wars miniature line of mini's anyway. Especially the commons. Took me about an hour or so all in all. Had some fun with the base. Pulled out some train modeling scenics that I havn't touched since I was in grade school. The look cane out pretty good.

Operation: Purifier

Today's mini is the Seneschal Purifier from the Hybrid board game by Rackham. As the more experianced hand in the team of Purifiers sent down into the Hybrid labs to purge them of abominations I opted to show his age in his hair. Wanting to show some grey hair I chose to give him that salt and pepper look of black and grey witht eh one stand of grey hair to represent the toll facing such horrors has caused this man.

It may not be readily apparent but this time of the year in Maine the weather has become very humid. As in the best humidity level I have seen in days is around 75% humidity. As such I am having issues with my sealent. I keep getting that nasty old fuzzy look on everything I seal. I've been trying diffrent ways to help keep the air mosture down as the mini drys. Everything from only spraying them at 1pm (least humid part of the day) and then putting them in a small room with its own AC turned on to dehumidify the room while they dry to brush on sealer over the particualarly bad spots while keeping a hot lamp on them while they dry. Although those steps have improved the issue some. They haven't been able to eliminate it. Coupleing this is the fact that I am using a new can of sealer, so I'm not entirly sure its the humidity level that is responsible for this issue.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Operation: Hybrid

Today I'm posting up a series of shots of my three Scorpion Hybrid mini's from the Rackham board game Hybrid. I enjoyed working with my new set of Reaper master paints on this. I was trying my hand at a little blending, mind you with only 3-5 shades of blend. The reaper pro paints come in groupings of three shades. A base, the color and a highlight. For the purple of their cloaks I think the highlight was a bit off from the darker colors causing the shades to stand out from each other to much. I should have done some intermediate shading between the color and its highlight to sort of phase that in more as right now you can see the a color line as I switched shades. It worked much better on the mettle though allowing me to do some shading with metallic paints. I think this was giving them a much better look as the bottom of weaponry and armor could be darker than the portion on top in the light.

Although the purple highlight and coloring needed more shades to really blend well together these three where and experimental paint job and a bit of a learning experience so I'm not too upset with how it came out. It is not amazing but I still think it looks better than a flat purple with a wash. It's more stylized this way and looks pretty decent on the table.

As always you can click on the photo to see a full size version.